Pages

15/06/2018

Kapa Haka Regionals

Kia Ora! 
Every Year, Maori Culture holds a festival, called the Kapa Haka Regionals. This regionals brings the North, East, West, and South islands to come and perform as one. This show only goes on for 2 days. Lucky for me, I got to attend to one of 2 performances. 

The performances/groups I watched were - Te Puru Kaumatua, and Odyssy. 

Te Puru Kaumatua Kapa Haka group, has elder people in it. This group was for all the elder women and men. One thing I liked about their group, was the PUKANA they gave to the crowd! Way to go Pops and Nans! 

If you would like to check out Nga Kaumatua o Te Puru o Tamaki, click this emoji here..💃🕺











The next performance and group I watched, were the Odyssey programme. Odyssey is a place where people go to change their lives around. And this year was their first performance in history. For their first performance, their group really stood out and impressed me. One thing  I really enjoyed watching, was that they all were Kia Kaha, they weren't nervous at all, and that their harmonization was AMAZING! 

Sorry, there are no photos or videos for the Odyssey performance, but be tuned in for tomorrow. 

Image result for pukana

Throughout the whole day in town, another thing I really enjoyed were getting to meet Puawai, Tawaroa and Awatea. If you don't know them, they are from Maimoa music. Puawai and Tawaroa were the host of the day, and Awatea was a audience and also a performer. 

If you haven't heard Maimoa music, click this link - MAIMOA MUSIC
Here is a photo of Maimoa Music. 

The women in the blue is - Awatea. 
The women with a black choker and is 2nd to last is - Puawai
And the man throwing up the Wairua sign is - Tawaroa. 

These three people are who I met at regionals. 
Image result for maimoa music

This day was exciting! Stay tuned for tomorrow's blogpost about the regionals! 
Because I will be going back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment