Pages

25/07/2018

Social Science - Natural Disasters

IALA: Natural Disasters
Kia Ora and welcome back to my blog!

Today for science I have been researching about a Tsunami and how it occurs!
Quick Fun fact: Did you know that a Tsunami can rise up to 100 feet tall, depending on how strong it is? Wow!
If you don't how tall 100 feet is, it is the size of the statue if liberty.

___

In my definition:
A Tsunami is a huge tide generally caused by underwater earthquakes, volcanic eruptions or landslides. Tsunamis are also like rising sea levels. When tsunamis are near coastal lines, they tend to slow down and grow in height.

Web Definition:
A long, high sea wave caused by an earthquake or other disturbance.

Image result for tsunami def

___

Honestly, I am really scared of Tsunamis and I always think to myself 'Do we get Tsunami warnings?'
Actually, we do. There are Tsunami warning systems attached to buoys in the ocean, which signal to the satellite and for it to signal to our televisions. These warning systems are called 'Hydrophone'.

Also, to notice if a Tsunami is about to happen, you'll be able to see that the sea is starting to move back dramatically. This signals that the Tsunami will happen in a few seconds.

I am still researching about Tsunamis. : Stay update, so you can learn more about Tsunamis.

____
Something I found challenging during my research, was trying to find good websites that don't have too much information, but just enough for me to read. Something I can skim read through.
Image result for hard emoji
__
Funny fact:
I thought that, when a Tsunami happens - A huge tide just comes up and drops onto earth.
Image result for hard emoji

Besides this,
Have you learned anything about a Tsunami?
Do you have any questions? - So that I can research about it and tell you. !

This is the end of my blog and I hope you enjoyed!

Image result for tsunami meaning

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you asked your readers if they had any questions. What a great idea! You found a way to interact with your audience. #brilliant.

    Remember to proof read your work to make sure capital letters are in the right place e.g. tsunami should have a capital T because it is the name of a natural disaster.
    I liked when you wrote:
    If you don't how tall 100 feet is, it is the size of the statue of liberty.
    As soon as I read this, I pictured the statue of liberty in my head and thought: "Wow, 100 feet is pretty tall!" Thanks for giving me something that I could relate to! 👍

    I HAVE A QUESTION: How did Tsunami get it's name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi miss Komor,
    Thank you for the feedback and feedforward you have given me. Now I know for next time, I will need to re-read through my blogpost.

    I am still researching about Tsunamis, but I will have your answer A.S.A.P.
    Also, I am so glad that my blogpost is something you can relate.

    Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete